May is National Arthritis Awareness Month and while we realize there are many humans suffering from this painful joint disease, there are also dogs who suffer too. Humans and dogs are alike in that once arthritis takes hold of our joints, it is very painful. While you cannot get rid of this disease, there are things you can do to improve your mobility in both humans and dogs. Read on for key tips on how to improve your joint health for you and your dog!
According to the Arthritis Foundation, May is National Arthritis Awareness Month. There are some shocking facts about the impact of arthritis, such as:
- 1 in 4 (approximately 54 million) US adults have arthritis
- 24 million adults are limited in their activities
- Almost 300,000 babies, kids and teens have arthritis, or a rheumatic condition
- Adults with arthritis pain can improve function by about 40% by being physically active
While the national foundation does not include four-legged friends in the statistics, as the creator of Glyde® Mobility Chews, our expertise is vast in the ability to fight the symptoms of arthritis in dogs. We have found there are some similarly shocking statistics:
- 4 out of 5 dogs will have arthritis by age 8
- 1 out of 5 dogs will have arthritis by age 1
- Dogs can reduce their symptoms of arthritis by maintaining daily activity and incorporating a joint supplement into their diet
What can you do?
Learn more about arthritis. If you know someone that is impacted by the disease, learn how to help. To relieve the symptoms, start by staying active and eating healthy. While the once the effects of the disease take hold, it cannot be cured. However, you can treat the symptoms.
Learn more about arthritis in dogs. While the signs of arthritis cannot be reversed once they start, there are things you can do to relieve the symptoms. Glyde® Mobility Chews includes the same ingredients what has worked for humans.
What makes Glyde different? The key levels of known ingredients that help fight the signs of arthritis in dogs are chondroitin, glucosamine and Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) from the shores of New Zealand. There are other ingredients that can help as well. The key is to do the research and find what works for you.
Do you know if your dog has arthritis? Here is a quick and easy quiz to get personalized results on your own dog when you answer just a few questions.
Your veterinary clinic is also the best resource for information on arthritis in dogs. Let your veterinarian know the results of your quiz. Or ask if they suspect your dog has arthritis based on what you are seeing at home. Want to know even more?
Here are some articles to read about arthritis in dogs from our blog.
- What is Arthritis in Dogs?
- Green Lipped Mussel (GLM) is the Power Behind Glyde
- What to Look for in Joint Supplements for Dogs
- How to Keep Your Dog Active
- How a Glyde Chew is Born
Make a promise to yourself that you and your dog will be active and get the exercise you need and the diet you should have to avoid arthritis. It’s never to early to start improving your health or that of your dog’s. If you are noticing signs of arthritis in yourself or your dog, be sure to find out more and work to combat these signs of aging for a better life as we all age.