Beginning Sunday, July 28, a summer staple and one of the most interesting weeks of the year of television, Discovery Channel’s Shark Week, returns with over 20 hours of amazing shark programming built to “shark and awe” viewers. It's a favorite week in summer here in the U.S. and winter down under, where our company was founded in Australia.
We are shark fans for many reasons. As a company with Australian roots, the protection of our oceans and the species that live there are very important to us. As the makers of Glyde™ Mobility Chews, a supplement that protects the joints of dogs and cats from the painful symptoms of arthritis, we wanted to let you know how passionate we are about sharks and how we are doing our part to protect them. We are also giving you the insight on the highlights to watch in this year's, the 31st year of #SharkWeek.
how we protect sharks
Our passion for sharks starts with the choice of ingredients used in Glyde™ Mobility Chews. Products that improve mobility, such as Glyde, use Chondroitin as a key ingredient. This ingredient can be obtained from fish, pigs, cattle, birds and shark. Proudly, our choice is, and always has been, to use Chondroitin from cows and not sharks. Here's why:
- It is absorbed more quickly in the system than other resources.
- It is a by-product of the meat industry.
- It avoids harvesting cartilage from sharks.
However, there are some products still using shark cartilage for reasons they see fit, which unfortunately adds to the endangerment of the shark population. As a company with roots in Australia and New Zealand, we value our environment and do our part to protect our marine life. If you aren’t using Glyde, make sure the product you use doesn't contain shark cartilage either. Now that you know where Chondroitin comes from, here’s what it does:
- Reduces pain, improves joint function and mobility
- Reduces the progression of arthritis
- Absorbs quickly in the system to relieve the signs of arthritis
our shark tale
There are around 70 different species of shark located around New Zealand. Also located there is our main ingredient, Green Lipped Mussel (GLM). This is the unique super-power ingredient in Glyde. GLM comes from the pristine waters of New Zealand, a country with the strictest quality assurance program for shellfish in the world as well as the best industry practices for growing and harvesting an environmentally sustainable product. We wrote all about the wonders of this small but mighty mussel in this article. In addition to the GLM and Chondroitin, we also use Glucosamine as the third key ingredient to fight the signs of arthritis. Here’s what it does:
- Also reduces pain, improves joint function and mobility
- Reduces joint space from further narrowing in joints
- Deters cartilage from further degrading
- Suppresses inflammation
It is important for us to protect the families of shark that live in the same great ocean.
Get this adorable Shark costume free for #SharkWeek for your dog! Check out the details at the bottom of this post!
Why Sharks Are Still Endangered
According to the World Wildlife Organization, shark populations around the world are in rapid decline. The main threat to sharks is over-fishing because of the high demand. Sharks are fished and sought out for fins, meat, leather, liver oil and cartilage. Sharks grow relatively slowly and take many years to mature and produce relatively few young. Populations simply cannot replenish at the same rate as they are caught and finned to meet market demand.
What's New for Shark Week 2019
Now back to the exciting television adventures of Shark Week. Thankfully, the main educational, adventurous and cringe-worthy shark action will be back as it is every year. New programming begins at 8 p.m. ET/PT each night beginning on Sunday, July 28. Here are the sharky new things we are especially excited to see.
- Wednesday, July 31, 9 p.m. ET/PT: For the first time, Discovery Channel has added a new scripted film, Capsized: Blood in the Water staring Josh Duhamel. It is based on the real-life events of an October 1982 boat ride that capsizes during a storm. Must see TV!
- Sunday, July 28, 9 p.m. ET/PT: While we have Australian roots, our North American headquarters is located in Kansas City. We have this hometown in common with retired marine, comedian and actor Rob Riggle. Mr Riggle is taking some of his celebrity friends on a shark-filled adventure, Shark Trip. Eat. Prey. Chum. You can bet we will be turning in.
- Friday, August 2, 8 p.m. & 9 p.m. ET/PT: An Australian double-feature. First, see the beauty of the pristine waters of Australia as you watch Isle of Jaws: Blood Brothers, which was filmed off an island called Isle of Jaws, of the West Australian coast. Then, see master illusionist Andrew Mayne: Ghost Diver, try his SHARK SUIT to see if he can become invisible to the the middle of a great white frenzy in Australia.
- Sunday, August 4, all day. If you miss anything, see it on this day as the do encore presentations of the best of the week.
Plus, there is so much more! Be sure to check out all the sharky detail on what is on in your time zone by checking out the Discovery Channel's guide.
As you tune into #SharkWeek on Sunday and all week long, remember at Parnell Living Science, we are doing our part to protect sharks in the sea. We do not use shark cartilage, and we never will.
Here’s to another great year of shark education thanks to the Discovery Channel’s #SharkWeek! Share with us on our social channels what shark-fest watch-fest you'll be tuning in during this year's #SharkWeek!
Here's How to Get Your FREE shark COSTUME
Get this adorable Shark costume for your fur-baby and watch #SharkWeek in style! Just purchase Glyde Mobility Chews for Dogs or Glyde Mobility Chews for Cats and you will receive your order confirmation email upon purchase. Forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your fur baby’s costume size (Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large) and we’ll send your FREE shark costume for your dog or cat! Offer is good through the end of #SharkWeek on Sunday August 4.